Why am I talking about safer beauty?
1.) 1938 – The last year the United States Federal Government passed a law regulating cosmetics. YIKES!! So many chemicals have been introduced into the industry since then, and safety studies are not available to prove that any of these chemicals are safe!
2.) 1300 – The number of chemicals banned from cosmetics in the European Union. 11 – the number of chemicals banned by the US. Disgusting. My favorite cosmetic company, Beautycounter, chose to ban 1500 chemicals from their products BY CHOICE!
3.) 3rd Party Testing – NOT REQUIRED in the cosmetic industry! Companies can make claims like “heavy metal free” or “natural” without any regulation. I choose to use products that pay out of their own pocket for 3rd party testing to backup their claims. (HINT: It’s shocking how few companies do this).
4.) I avoid heavy metals at all costs. If you’ve heard my interviews before you’ll know that I’ve spent thousands of dollars ridding my body of heavy metals that are so prevalent in cosmetics, water, dental amalgams, and more. Lead is a big contaminate in cosmetics, particularly because it is common in soil based (think *mineral*) products. Lead is used as a colorant, but because it is naturally occurring these products and brands can be labeled as “natural!” Did you know that 99% of lipstick contains lead!? The average woman consumes up to 87 milligrams of lipstick per day! (There is no safe amount of lead exposure). If it’s in your lipstick you’re literally EATING lead throughout the day! Furthermore, it’s important to note that lead toxicity has been associated with neurological and endocrine imbalances.
Want to check your cosmetics and beauty products? Visit the Environmental Working Group. They are a non-profit organization that tells you exactly how toxic your personal care products are. (Bonus: You can check your household cleaning products as well)!
Need more tips on how to keep yourself safe?
Click below to download my FREE Safer Beauty Series!
I have chosen to partner with BeautyCounter. I love them for these reasons:
- They CHOSE to do third party testing on all of their products, and rejected products that didn’t make the cut due to performance, heavy metal contamination, and chemical contamination from the list of 1500 they CHOSE to ban.
- Their products work. I’ve spent the last 10 years trying everything labeled “organic, natural, GMO-Free, animal cruelty free, Gluten-Free,” and the list goes on. This company uses some preservatives (proven safe through 3rd party testing at BeatyCounter’s cost) and they use organic ingredients for the rest. I don’t’ know if you’ve noticed in other organic products, but you can spend a lot for a great product that doesn’t last long. (PS – “natural” products are the ones most heavily contaminated with heavy metals.
- They are creating change. I know that because BeautyCounter legislation in the United States will be passed changing the regulation of the beauty industry. Did you know that other studies have shown that many of the inexpensive products on the market are the ones that are contaminated with heavy metals and chemicals with unknown safety? To date, the FDA has done NOTHING about it.
As consumers in the United States of America our dollars speak louder than anything else. Put your hard earned dollars into things that bring you HEALTH! From clean food and water, to clean air, clean beauty and even safe cleaning products. Speak through your actions.
I have made the choice to partner with BeautyCounter, and you can help with their mission to get safer products into the hands of everyone by simply buying their products and spreading the word. Doing so puts $$$$ into creating action. They’ve had over 100 meetings on Capitol Hill to create change in the regulation of chemicals in our cosmetics industry. That is a company I can stand behind 100%.
Side note, I’m hit up constantly to promote products, brands, food, and wine. I haven’t found anything I’ve felt aligned with yet. I love making a little money just like everyone else, but I refuse to promote products I don’t personally use and believe in. Being more transparent and vulnerable than I ever have before; let me introduce you to my results:
I personally love my before picture. I’ve used my own DIY organic skin solutions and had a healthy diet for so long that I’ve been blessed with great skin. (Skin health is a reflection of gut and hormone health). Sure, I’ve got dark circles and some uneven tones here and there, but overall I’m happy with how I naturally look. I’m also lucky enough to have a husband who tells me how beautiful I look regardless if I’m all dolled up for the night or it’s 5:00 am and I’m in my workout gear. He told me the main difference in my before and after picture is that my skin care and beauty routine just highlight my natural beauty. Of course he got a ton of kisses for that. I think that’s a PERFECT way of putting it. Beauty products and cosmetics are meant to look NATURAL and enhance our God-given beauty. Less is always more, and healthy is always best. There should be a SUBTLE difference in your look and appearance.
I’m sharing the vulnerable side with you to do a few things:
- Get you to think differently about what goes ON your body, not just IN your body.
- Point you towards EWG to help you gauge how healthy the products you’re using truly are. (Not just beauty products! Check the rest, too!)
- Get you to swap out what’s harmful for what’s healthy.
Take a look at my DIY recipes:
Your health is your choice. When it comes to go what goes on or in your body, you are the one that calls the shots. At the end of the day you’re either creating health in your body or creating disease. What goes on your body is just as important as what goes in.
Don’t forget! You can download my Safer Beauty Series for FREE!
Just click the image below.
Cheers to your health and happiness!