EMF: Keeping Your Family Safe From Electromagnetic Radiation
By: Libby Darnell
Too busy to read it all?
Listen to my EMF podcast interview and download (click below) your copy of my Top 10 EMF Action Steps.
-This is PART THREE of a four part series on Electromagnetic Frequencies and how you can reduce your exposure!
Making Your Home Safe
Now that you have an understanding of what EMFs are, how they can harm you, and what symptoms to look for, let’s focus on what you can do to make your home a safe space.
If you have the ability to make changes at school or work, great, but start with what you have control over.
- Get your home tested for ground current exposure, magnetic fields from wiring and appliances, wifi exposure, dirty electricity, and cellphone tower radiation. Address any issues uncovered during testing. For example, you may need to install a section of plastic piping on your homes water intake to disrupt any ground current coming into your home. We had a plumber do this and it took less than an hour. We also installed dirty electricity filters, and purchased fabric window shielding to block cell phone radiation coming into one side of our home.
- Reduce or eliminate the use of wifi in your home. At a bare minimum, plug your wifi power into a wall outlet timer so your wifi turns off at night, and on again in the morning.
- Swap out any “smart” devices, like a smart thermostat or a personal smart watch, for the standard option. For example, I got rid of my Nest thermostat that required the use of wifi and got a standard thermostat for $15. Something else to mention is that I was wearing my smartwatch when my I had my home tested. The EMF testing technician saw this and immediately had me take it off.
- Use hard-wired internet sources for your computer, printer, fax, and scanners. Use good old fashioned ethernet or an HDMI source. Alternatively, if you have a wireless printer and want to keep it for now, simply leave it turned off except for when you need to print.
- Charge your electrical devices away from high traffic areas of your house. When charging your devices the amount of EMFs produced increases exponentially. I choose to charge my devices at night in the kitchen, while my family is sleeping on the other side of the house.
- Turn your bluetooth off, and keep your phone in airplane mode whenever possible. If your kids play games on your phone or their phones, make sure those games can be played in airplane mode. See Dr. Jay’s method for hooking up an iPad to wired internet.
- If you legally must have a Smart Meter4 for your home set up a smart meter guard to shield your home from exposure.
- Make sure your bedroom and your children’s bedrooms are away from your circuit breaker, wifi source, smart meter, and other electrical devices. Your child’s bedroom will be tested during a home inspection, which I highly recommend. Children are much more susceptible to electromagnetic radiation than adults are and their sensitivity to electricity is much greater.
- Be selective about what cars you purchase. If you want to own an electric vehicle have it tested! I have a friend with a new model Tesla that tested at safe levels, however some other electric vehicles produce a large amount of EMF. You don’t know unless you test. If your car produces it’s own “hotspot” or wireless signal, call your manufacturer and have it disabled. Please request for the “signal to not be transmitted, not just turning off your ability to access the signal.” Initially, our dealer turned off our ability to access our vehicle’s wireless, but did not actually disable the wireless signal until we asked.
- Avoid working or living near cell phone towers. If you already do, look into purchasing shielding fabric for your home’s windows facing the side of the cell towers in your area5.
- Avoid using your laptop while it it is plugged into it’s power source. Battery power uses DC (direct current), as opposed to the AC (alternating current) from your home’s wiring system. Battery usage greatly reduces your EMF exposure.
- When traveling by plane try to fly at night to reduce your exposure to the earth’s ionizing radiation field. Opt out of the scanner at the airport. Take extra antioxidants to combat your exposure.
Get your downloadable Top 10 EMF Action Steps!
Stay tuned for PART FOUR where I’ll go through what you can do TODAY to start feeling better if you are already dealing with EMF sensitivity symptoms!
- Heavy Cell Phone Use Can Quadruple Your Risk of Brain Cancer. (2015, January 6). Retrieved January 12, 2017, from http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2015/01/06/cell-phone-use-brain-cancer-risk.aspx
- Milham, S. (2010). Dirty electricity: electrification and the diseases of civilization. New York: IUniverse Inc.
- Stetzer Electric, Inc. (n.d.). Retrieved January 12, 2017, from http://www.stetzerelectric.com/category/research/
- Smart Meters. (n.d.). Retrieved January 12, 2017, from http://emfsafetynetwork.org/smart-meters/
- EMF Meters. (n.d.). Retrieved January 12, 2017, from http://www.lessemf.com/index.html
- Research and References. (2016, June 06). Retrieved January 12, 2017, from https://flutterbusters.com/research-and-references/