Dr. Libby’s 3 Favorite
DIY Cleaning Recipes
By: Libby Darnell
Did you know the average household contains 62 toxic chemicals? Most of them come from conventional cleaning products!
This is one of the many reasons the Environmental Protection Agency found that our indoor air is 5-10Xs more toxic than outdoor air.
One thing you can do TODAY to make your home safer is swap out your standard cleaning supplies with easy, inexpensive homemade cleaning products! These are my top three favorite cleaning supplies:
DIY All Purpose Cleaner Spray
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup distilled white vinegar
- 20 drops of essential oils of choice, in whatever combination moves you; lemon, rosemary, lavender, tea tree, or wild orange, eucalyptus. Suggestion; 10 drops lemon oil and 10 drops tea tree oil.
Combine all ingredients in a glass spray bottle. Use as needed
DIY Laundry Detergent
- 1 (4 lb 12 oz) box of Borax
- 1 (4 lb) box Arm and Hammer Baking Soda
- 1 (55 oz) box Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda
- 3 bars Dr. Bronner’s castile soap
Mix borax, baking soda, and washing soda in a large bowl. Grate the castile soap and combine with rest of ingredients. Store in a large glass jar! Use 1-2 tablespoons per load.
DIY Dishwasher Detergent
- 1 cup washing soda
- 1 cup baking soda
- 1 cup citric acid (may need more or less, depending on how hard or soft your water is)
- ½ cup table salt
Mix everything in a bowl, and store in Mason jar or pre-used dishwashing detergent bottle. Use 1-2 tablespoons per load of dirty dishes.
Want to check and see how toxic the cleaning supplies in your home are? The Environmental Working Group maintains a database that ranks how toxic your cleaning supplies, beauty supplies, and even food items are! Check it out!
Leave a comment and let us know what some of your favorite homemade cleaning products are!
- “How Toxic Are Your Household Cleaning Supplies?” Organic Consumers Association. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Jan. 2017. <https://www.organicconsumers.org/news/how-toxic-are-your-household-cleaning-supplies>.
- Sholl, Jessie, Ann Louise Gittleman, Courtney Helgoe, Matthew Solan, Experience Life Staff, Betsy Nelson, and MD Mark Hyman. “8 Hidden Toxins: What’s Lurking in Your Cleaning Products?” Experience Life. N.p., 01 Oct. 2011. Web. 13 Jan. 2017.
- EWG’s Guide to Healthy Cleaning. (n.d.). Retrieved January 11, 2017, from http://www.ewg.org/guides/cleaners